Many people know that flax seeds have many health benefits when they are eaten, but you could also make awesome hair styling gel with them too! When my son was born I was looking for a natural hair product to use for him that was gentle yet effective and wouldn't leave a sticky residue. I couldn't really find anything light enough that would still hold so I started to look for DIY alternatives and came across a home made recipe that was intended to define curly and frizzy hair like mine. I was really excited and was so happy with the results for both my son and I.
So if you have frizzy, curly, wavy hair and are looking for luscious curls with definition and shine this Flax Seed Gel is the best alternative to expensive store bought gels. It is completely natural and free of chemicals like alcohol that can dry your hair out. It is very easy to make, affordable and will go a long way. My curls are always soft and touchable which is important and I can also use it to smooth out my hair when I put it into a bun and blowdry on special occasions.
Here is what you'll need to make your own flax seed gel.
1. 1/4 cup Organic Flax Seeds
2. 2 Cups of water
3. Glass Measuring cup with spout
4. Small Pot
5. Plastic Bottle Container or tupperware for gel storage
6. Wooden Spoon to stir
7. Lavender, Rosemary or Tea tree essential oils for added benefits and storage time(optional)
8. Metal Strainer
Instructions to make gel
1. Measure 1/4 cup of flax seeds and place into small pot
2. Measure 2 cups of water and place into pot
3. Turn the heat on medium/high
4. Stir the seeds in the water until all the seeds fall to the bottom of the pot
5. Let the seeds come to a boil while continuously stirring the seeds to prevent them from sticking
6. Turn the heat down to medium/low and continue to let them boil for approximately 8-12 minutes.
7. When you are stirring and notice the fluid has a thickened gel like consistency turn the heat off
9. With your metal strainer placed over your measuring cup, take the pot and pour fluid and seeds over the strainer into the cup
10. Take the left over seeds and store refrigerate in a small tupperware container to be able to use them for next time
11. Let the gel fluid cool down for 10-15 minutes
12. If you like you can add a 3-6 drops of your favourite essential oil (lavender, tea tree, rosemary) and mix
13. Pour the fluid into your preferred storage container. I chose a plastic bottle with a pump as seen in the video and photo below for an easier and less messy way to obtain the gel when you want to style your hair.
14. Store your container and refrigerate for anywhere between 1-2 weeks.
Benefits of using Flax Seed Hair Gel
1. Rich in Omega 3 which is very nourishing for the hair
2. Promotes hair growth by nurturing scalp
3. Leaves hair soft and shiny
4. Does not leave a flaky or crunchy residue
5. You can adjust hold by adding more flax seeds to the mix when cooking
6. Is a great curl definer, smoother and reduces frizz
7. Does not cause breakage or dry the hair out
8. Fantastic styler for twists, waves, buns and ponytail based styles
9. Protects the hair shaft when blow drying
10. Easy to add preferred essential oils, natural butters and conditioners to customize your own formula
11. Affordable and easy to make
12. All natural and safe for the entire family to use
Tips for extra dry/damaged, course & colour treated hair
You can use either of these suggestions or combine as you wish
1. Add 1/2 tsp. of warmed up shea butter and mix into warm gel when cooling down for deep conditioning & smoothing course hair texture. Smooths and helps seal split ends.
2. Add 1 capsule of Vitamin E into warm gel and mix for antioxidant protection for
coloured hair/damaged hair
3. Add 1 tsp. of organic unrefined coconut oil for dry/flaking scalp and hair
4. Combine 2 drops of lavender, tea tree and rosemary to promote hair growth, circulation and deep cleansing to the scalp. It also adds a wonderful custom smell.
Watch my Youtube tutorial below!