Many people know that flax seeds have many health benefits when they are eaten, but you could also make awesome hair styling gel with them too! When my son was born I was looking for a natural hair product to use for him that was gentle yet effective and wouldn't leave a sticky residue. I couldn't really find anything light enough that would still hold so I started to look for DIY alternatives and came across a home made recipe that was intended to define curly and frizzy hair like mine. I was really excited and was so happy with the results for both my son and I.
So if you have frizzy, curly, wavy hair and are looking for luscious curls with definition and shine this Flax Seed Gel is the best alternative to expensive store bought gels. It is completely natural and free of chemicals like alcohol that can dry your hair out. It is very easy to make, affordable and will go a long way. My curls are always soft and touchable which is important and I can also use it to smooth out my hair when I put it into a bun and blowdry on special occasions.
Here is what you'll need to make your own flax seed gel.
1. 1/4 cup Organic Flax Seeds
2. 2 Cups of water
3. Glass Measuring cup with spout
4. Small Pot
5. Plastic Bottle Container or tupperware for gel storage
6. Wooden Spoon to stir
7. Lavender, Rosemary or Tea tree essential oils for added benefits and storage time(optional)
8. Metal Strainer
Instructions to make gel
1. Measure 1/4 cup of flax seeds and place into small pot
2. Measure 2 cups of water and place into pot
3. Turn the heat on medium/high
4. Stir the seeds in the water until all the seeds fall to the bottom of the pot
5. Let the seeds come to a boil while continuously stirring the seeds to prevent them from sticking
6. Turn the heat down to medium/low and continue to let them boil for approximately 8-12 minutes.
7. When you are stirring and notice the fluid has a thickened gel like consistency turn the heat off
9. With your metal strainer placed over your measuring cup, take the pot and pour fluid and seeds over the strainer into the cup
10. Take the left over seeds and store refrigerate in a small tupperware container to be able to use them for next time
11. Let the gel fluid cool down for 10-15 minutes
12. If you like you can add a 3-6 drops of your favourite essential oil (lavender, tea tree, rosemary) and mix
13. Pour the fluid into your preferred storage container. I chose a plastic bottle with a pump as seen in the video and photo below for an easier and less messy way to obtain the gel when you want to style your hair.
14. Store your container and refrigerate for anywhere between 1-2 weeks.
Benefits of using Flax Seed Hair Gel
1. Rich in Omega 3 which is very nourishing for the hair
2. Promotes hair growth by nurturing scalp
3. Leaves hair soft and shiny
4. Does not leave a flaky or crunchy residue
5. You can adjust hold by adding more flax seeds to the mix when cooking
6. Is a great curl definer, smoother and reduces frizz
7. Does not cause breakage or dry the hair out
8. Fantastic styler for twists, waves, buns and ponytail based styles
9. Protects the hair shaft when blow drying
10. Easy to add preferred essential oils, natural butters and conditioners to customize your own formula
11. Affordable and easy to make
12. All natural and safe for the entire family to use
Tips for extra dry/damaged, course & colour treated hair
You can use either of these suggestions or combine as you wish
1. Add 1/2 tsp. of warmed up shea butter and mix into warm gel when cooling down for deep conditioning & smoothing course hair texture. Smooths and helps seal split ends.
2. Add 1 capsule of Vitamin E into warm gel and mix for antioxidant protection for
coloured hair/damaged hair
3. Add 1 tsp. of organic unrefined coconut oil for dry/flaking scalp and hair
4. Combine 2 drops of lavender, tea tree and rosemary to promote hair growth, circulation and deep cleansing to the scalp. It also adds a wonderful custom smell.
Watch my Youtube tutorial below!
I had the wonderful opportunity of having my hair done at Vancouver's Eco Friendly and true Green Beauty Business CLOVER EARTHKIND SALON. It is one of my absolute passions sharing business's and entrepreneurs that deliver exceptional beauty services and products that never compromise your health or that of the environment in order to deliver beautiful results.
I became aware of Clover Salon years ago when I was an educator in the hair industry about 6 years ago and had an initial hair cut there and interviewed owner Jen Vanderliej so I could learn more about this amazing shop. I was so impressed upon meeting Jen because of her wealth of knowledge and commitment to running an authentic green beauty and eco friendly salon. The products she selects to use in her shop to wash, style and colour are always meticulously researched for ingredient safety to health and cruelty free practices. I was really happy to see that she was deeply passionate about it because it reflects with the methods she uses to divert waste, use natural products and maintain transparency to the clientele.
I had previously been going to extraordinarily talented hair stylists that did a fabulous job at colouring my stubborn hair using more conventional products. The cosmetic results were always great but I would notice that my scalp would become irritated or excessively dry the weeks following my hair appointments. I have since returned as I client very recently because I realized that I had to finally make the final switch to less toxic hair colouring products to compliment the rest of my beauty routine and adhere to my values. I knew exactly where to go!
Since I had gone years ago the location has changed but the quality in services and the maintenance of eco friendly practices is steadfast. It is in a beautiful open concept salon that has the most inviting and relaxing ambiance free of pretentious attitudes. I absolutely love how the salon has been styled in an elegant and organically artistic way while adding natural elements into the space.
I made the appointment with Kristy because I was told she is an expert at the balayage technique and was comfortable with very curly course hair like mine, which I was so relieved about because this mane definitely requires skill to work with. Since summer is just around the corner I decided to go with slightly lighter and cooler blonde tones. Kristy did an incredible job at both colouring and styling my hair. My hair has very red undertones that tend to make my hair always look brassy, but Kristy used the best products and techniques with patience to get to the tones I wanted without compromising the health of my hair. My scalp was not itchy at all during the process and I had a great time talking about non toxic living with her and how above al things honesty and transparency is so important in providing services and education to clients in this business. As you can see from the above before and after pictures and my video below the results are nothing short of AMAZING! My hair felt very soft and hydrated despite the lightening process. Thank You Kristy, you are so talented and I love sitting in your chair!
Clover Earthkind Salon has been certified by the Green Business Seal of Good Practice Certification program. This certification covers areas like sustainable training, proper eco waste management, chemicals and energy consumption. They have been given a 98% waste diversion rating in their audit from the Bullfrog Power Organization. Everything from hair that has been cut, to the tubes of colour being disposed, and the brands of soap and products used is chosen in a very eco friendly and safe manner for your health and the environment. They are also officially cruelty free. I don't know any other salon or owner who is as equally diligent about her sustainable and eco friendly methods and practices. With so much green washing in the industry, people just branding themselves as green but nit really caring nor committing it is very inspiring to see Clover stand out in this area. It is awesome to see a pioneer like Jen lead the way in being a clean beauty business since years ago and go above and beyond the typical salon to ensure quality in al areas
I would highly recommend this salon to anyone who has sensitivities to the chemicals found in regular hair colours or is seeking to receive high quality hair services that use safer, cleaner ingredients and practices. Not only are the colours more gentle but they also have added nourishing qualities like conditioning oils and vitamins. Your hair is healthy and vibrant!
I stand by my belief that you shouldn't have to sacrifice your health to be fashionable and play with beauty care and change your looks. Going to shops like this makes obtaining a clean living lifestyle that much easier and I am so grateful that this shop available to me. Just like the food industry, the more we support genuine conscious business's like this with our hard earned money, the more empowered the movement becomes in educating consumers about the impact to their health and environment their beauty care creates.
For more information about Clover Earthkind Salon please click the link HERE.
To see a glimpse of the entire process watch the video below.
A passionate clean beauty and healthy lifestyle blogger, dedicated to bringing awareness on the practicality and impact that living a conscious lifestyle can have.